PARTICIPATION IN THE GRADUATION CEREMONY
Students who have completed their degree requirements before the graduation date and have fulfilled the graduation candidacy requirements should participate in the graduation ceremony. However, in certain situations, students who have nearly completed their degree requirements may be permitted to participate. Students who will complete their degree in the summer session should petition the Academic Affairs Committee to participate and march in the graduation ceremony. The following guidelines will safeguard the integrity of the event:
- Undergraduate students may participate in the spring semester graduation ceremony if they are registered for summer session courses that will allow them to meet all their degree program requirements. They must also have a 2.5 GPA in their major and 2.25 cumulative GPA, with no incomplete courses, other than an incomplete research project.
- The graduation ceremony distinguishes between those who have completed all degree requirements at the end of the spring semester and those who have some remaining coursework to be completed during the summer session. Those with remaining coursework to be completed in the summer session will be identified in the graduation ceremony as summer graduates with no conferral of academic honors.
Graduation ceremonies are intended to recognize and celebrate the achievement of students who have completed all their degree requirements. The responsibility for meeting the graduation requirements rests primarily with the student.
Conferral of degrees normally takes place once a year at the end of the spring semester. However, if students complete the graduation requirements at the end of either the fall semester or the summer session, they may be issued a diploma dated at that time. The text on the diploma appears both in Arabic and in English. It is the responsibility of the graduates to have their diplomas equalized by their respective government(s).
UNDERGRADUATE GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
Before participating in the graduation ceremony or receiving a diploma, each undergraduate candidate must:
- File an application for graduation one semester before completion.
- Pass all the required courses and achieve a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 2.00. All students must maintain a minimum grade-point average of 2.25 with no grades lower than "C-" in their department (major) course requirements, cognates, and department electives.
- Fulfill the residency requirement at the University.
- Pay the graduation fee and secure financial clearance from the Business Office.
GRADUATE GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
To become candidates for graduation, graduate students must:
- Complete all degree requirements and secure financial clearance from the Business Office.
- Achieve a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 3.00 with no more than two repeats and/or no more than two grades below "B-".
- Have no grades lower than "C".
- Defend the thesis and receive a grade of "B" or higher.
- Submit the final copy of the thesis through the dean to the librarian.
- Complete all requirements for graduation within six academic years of admission to the graduate program.
- Apply one semester before graduation by filling in the required form after the approval of the chairperson of the department has been secured.
GRADUATION IN ABSENTIA
Graduates are expected to participate in the graduation ceremony. However, for a legitimate reason only, graduates may request to absent themselves from the graduation ceremony, at least two weeks before graduation. In this case, they must fill out a form, and a written permission to graduate in absentia must be granted by the president of the University. A student graduating in absentia has to pay the full graduation fee. A student who is absent without notice may be subject to an additional fee.
GRADUATION WITH DISTINCTION To qualify
|Cum Laude:||a minimum grade-point average of 3.50|
|Magna Cum Laude:||a minimum grade-point average of 3.75|
|Summa Cum Laude:||a minimum grade-point average of 3.90|
Undergraduate students who graduate with honors will have that status designated on their diploma.